If you’ve been in a truck accident, there are several steps you can take to protect your legal rights:
- Seek medical attention: The first and most important step is to seek medical attention for yourself and any other injured parties. Even if you don’t feel like you’ve been seriously injured, it’s important to get checked out by a medical professional to ensure that there are no hidden injuries.
- Call the police: Call the police and report the accident, even if it seems minor. The police will create an accident report, which can be useful in your case.
- Gather evidence: Take photos of the accident scene, including damage to vehicles, skid marks, and any road or weather conditions that may have contributed to the accident. Get contact information from any witnesses.
- Don’t admit fault: Do not admit fault or apologize for the accident, as this can be used against you in the legal process.
- Contact an attorney: Contact an experienced truck accident attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can help you navigate the legal process, gather evidence, and negotiate with insurance companies to help you obtain the maximum compensation available.
- Do not talk to the trucking company or insurance company: It’s generally not advisable to talk to the trucking company or insurance company without first consulting with an attorney. These companies may try to pressure you into accepting a settlement that is less than you deserve or use your statements against you in court.
By following these steps, you can help protect your legal rights and build a strong case for compensation after a truck accident in New Jersey. An experienced truck accident attorney can provide you with additional guidance and support throughout the legal process.
If you were injured in a truck accident in New Jersey and would like to discuss your case with an experienced truck accident lawyer, we can help.
Please contact us at (973) 383-2700 for a free, confidential, no-obligation consultation. We want to hear from you.